(NewsUSA) - Attitudes and opinions can vary greatly when it comes to public breastfeeding. Yet, when it comes to the opinion that matters most -- the mother's -- a recent survey suggests that "breast is best."
Highlighting breastfeeding attitudes and behaviors of moms and expecting moms around the U.S., the 2014 Lansinoh Global Breastfeeding Survey found that more than half of women surveyed say that breastfeeding in public is perfectly natural (57 percent).
Other key findings included:
* Ninety-three percent of moms believe that "breast is best" when it comes to feeding babies. That number increases to 98 percent for moms who are pregnant with their first baby.
* "Mommy Guilt" is real. In fact, 64 percent of moms say they would feel guilty if they did not breastfeed.
* The majority of moms (86 percent) who choose to breastfeed do so because of the health benefits for baby. Forming a close bond with baby (5 percent) and to save money by not buying formula (5 percent) were distant second-place reasons.
"These data show that moms today have the best interest of their baby's health in mind when forming their breastfeeding goals and opinions," said Gina Cicatelli Ciagne, CLC and Vice President of Healthcare & Media Relations, Lansinoh Laboratories. "Yet, ultimately, there are many other factors moms navigate when making their decision."
One such factor is whether to use breast pumps. According to the survey, more than three-fourths of moms have used -- or plan to use -- breast pumps. That number is highest with expecting moms, with 82 percent saying they plan to use pumps, and the remaining 18 percent unsure whether they will or not.
It's important to note that the survey was very careful in choosing its participants.
"We wanted to talk to moms who are currently breastfeeding, as well as those who recently stopped, because understanding how they feel is the best way to support today's breastfeeding moms, whether it's through new breastfeeding products or with workplace policies and government support," said Ciagne.
To read the full survey, visit www.lansinoh.com/globalsurvey.
NewsusaInfographic. See full-sized image here.