1-year-old’s condition serious, mom and boyfriend remain jailed

A local child remains listed in serious condition at University Medical Center in Lubbock after law enforcement officials allege she was beaten by a 21-year-old Big Spring man.A 1-year-old female who was initially taken to the emergency room at Scenic Mountain Medical Center and then later life-flighted to the Lubbock facility Friday remains in serious condition according to Eric Finley, communications manager for University Medical Center.Johnny Michael Edmondson II, 21, of 300 S. Tulane, was arrested Friday by the BSPD on a charge of injury to a child with intent to cause bodily injury. Also arrested was the baby's mother, Vanessa Ann Armendarez, 26, also of 300 S. Tulane, on a charge of abandoning/endangering a child – imminent danger of bodily injury.Bond was set for Edmondson at $25,000, while Armendarez's bond was set at $10,000. According to officials with the Howard County Detention Center, neither have managed to bond out at this time and remain in the custody of the detention center.According to Sgt. Tony Everett, public information officer with the BSPD, officers responded to an apartment in the 300 block of Tulane at approximately 4:36 p.m. Friday in reference to a report of an injured child.“The child had severe swelling around her eyes and jaw, as well as bruising to her face and chest,” Everett said. “The child also had red whelps on her legs. Officers called for an ambulance and the girl was transported to the emergency room at Scenic Mountain Medical Center. She was later flown to Lubbock as a precaution due to the possibility of a closed head injury.”Everett said both Edmondson and Armendarez were present in the apartment when officers arrived on the scene.“The mother (Armendarez) lives in the apartment with two children,” Everett said. “No injuries were found on the second child. The investigation centered on Edmondson because he had been with the child overnight while the mother worked. When the mother returned home from work Friday morning, no effort was made (by Armendarez and Edmondson) to get the baby medical help. Police had been notified by an individual not of the home.”Everett said Edmondson was arrested at the scene and charged with injury to a child.“The mother was arrested and charged with endangering a child due to not seeking medical attention and leaving the child in what law enforcement officials feel was an unsafe situation,” Everett said.