Skip to main content

Barking dog alerts family to fire

April 12, 2011

Investigators believe the fire that destroyed a couple's home west of Elbow during the early morning hours today was caused by an electrical short in or near a dryer.

Howard County Volunteer Fire Chief Tommy Sullivan said the fire was reported shortly after 1 a.m. at a home located in the 6800 block of W. FM 818.

“We arrived on the scene at 1:30 a.m. and the structure was already fully engulfed in flames,” Sullivan said. “The home is located about 1.5 miles west of Elbow. Two units from the Big Spring Fire Department and seven Howard County units responded to the fire.

“If the dog hadn't woke them up, there's a good chance they might not have made it out alive,” he said. “He really gets the credit for saving their lives. I'd say that dog deserves one heck of a treat.”

For more information, you may subscribe to the Big Spring Herald or purchase an e-edition.

The Big Spring High School Steers' second-round playoff game with the Clint Lions has been...
With just over 10 minutes left in regulation and his team holding a shaky two-point lead at 45-43...
The Howard College Hawks are 40 minutes away from hanging another banner from the rafters of the...
New Listings!! 7 Highland Heather 1507 Runnels 103 Washington Blvd.
The most common New Year Resolution is to lose weight and get fit. Fitness and nutrition expert John Basedow offers his...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes