Skip to main content

Barking dog alerts family to fire

April 12, 2011

Investigators believe the fire that destroyed a couple's home west of Elbow during the early morning hours today was caused by an electrical short in or near a dryer.

Howard County Volunteer Fire Chief Tommy Sullivan said the fire was reported shortly after 1 a.m. at a home located in the 6800 block of W. FM 818.

“We arrived on the scene at 1:30 a.m. and the structure was already fully engulfed in flames,” Sullivan said. “The home is located about 1.5 miles west of Elbow. Two units from the Big Spring Fire Department and seven Howard County units responded to the fire.

“If the dog hadn't woke them up, there's a good chance they might not have made it out alive,” he said. “He really gets the credit for saving their lives. I'd say that dog deserves one heck of a treat.”

For more information, you may subscribe to the Big Spring Herald or purchase an e-edition.

Football season in the Crossroads region will get off to an official start tonight with a gem at...
Coach Derrick Jackson looked out at the court at the SouthWest Collegiate Institute for the Deaf...
The Big Spring High School Steers suffered a tough 3-0 setback to the Frenship Lady Tigers in...
New Listings 2403 Carleton 507 South Ave. - Coahoma 1310 Runnels

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes