Skip to main content

Barking dog alerts family to fire

April 12, 2011

Investigators believe the fire that destroyed a couple's home west of Elbow during the early morning hours today was caused by an electrical short in or near a dryer.

Howard County Volunteer Fire Chief Tommy Sullivan said the fire was reported shortly after 1 a.m. at a home located in the 6800 block of W. FM 818.

“We arrived on the scene at 1:30 a.m. and the structure was already fully engulfed in flames,” Sullivan said. “The home is located about 1.5 miles west of Elbow. Two units from the Big Spring Fire Department and seven Howard County units responded to the fire.

“If the dog hadn't woke them up, there's a good chance they might not have made it out alive,” he said. “He really gets the credit for saving their lives. I'd say that dog deserves one heck of a treat.”

For more information, you may subscribe to the Big Spring Herald or purchase an e-edition.

Patrick Jones has the 5 worst number one overall draft picks in NFL history. Who were they? Check...
The question was never “if” Tobyn Tannehill would play college football. The youngest son of Big...
Anthony Godwin gave the Big Spring High School Steers just what they needed on Friday night....
NEW LISTINGS 101 CEDAR 1007 LAMAR 1209 GREGG
Just in time for Easter, try out these 12 easy and fun crafts with your kids. From bunny ears to almond wreaths, it's...
NEW LISTINGS 901 Runnels 2606 E.24th 2602 Coronado

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes