Carjacking thwarted, one in custody

A Dallas man is in custody facing serious charges after law enforcement officials say he attempted to car-jack a vehicle at the Murphy USA gas station in the Walmart SuperCenter parking lot Tuesday morning.Byron Shedd, 29, was arrested and charged with aggravated robbery, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and evading arrest near the local gas station — located in the 200 block of W. Marcy — and booked into the Howard County Detention Center.According to Sgt. Tony Everett, public information officer of the Big Spring Police Department, Shedd was spotted at approximately 10:30 a.m. pulling into the McDonalds restaurant near the intersection of U.S. Highway 87 and FM 700 in a vehicle that had been reported stolen.“Lt. Robert Fitzgibbons (of the BSPD) observed a white Pontiac at the intersection of Wasson Road and FM 700,” Everett said. “The vehicle had been reported stolen in Big Spring on May 18. Fitzgibbons was in an unmarked police car and followed the stolen vehicle as it pulled into the McDonalds parking lot. As the vehicle parked, Fitzgibbons pulled behind it and activated his emergency lights.”Everett said the suspect fled on foot, crossing U.S. Highway 87 while Fitzgibbons pursued on foot.“As this was happening, 68-year-old Earl Hill and his wife Neldia, of Rankin, were at Murphy USA,” Everett said. “Mr. Hill was putting gas in his pickup. His wife was sitting in the passenger seat of the vehicle. The suspect ran to that location and got into the driver's seat of their vehicle.“Mr. Hill attempted to stop the suspect by grabbing his shirt and holding the steering wheel. He told his wife to get out of the vehicle and she was able to do so just before the suspect drove the vehicle away from the pumps with Mr. Hill still holding on to the steering wheel. At this point the vehicle was headed for a curb and Mr. Hill had to let go and fell to the ground.”Everett said the vehicle went up an embankment and Shedd lost control, striking a fence. Soon after the vehicle came to a stop, Fitzgibbons secured the suspect and took him into custody. Hill suffered minor injuries to his legs in the struggle and was treated by paramedics at the scene, while his wife managed to come out of the ordeal unscathed.