In random order, Big Spring High School students Charles Anderson, Mindy Ralston, Jessica Rubio, Shermila Kher and Chelsey Parker have qualified for the state academic meet May 5-7 in Austin. (Courtesy photo)
A drop in classification and a move to a different regional site did little to deter five members of Big Spring High School’s University Interscholastic League Academic Team from qualifying for the state meet.
“We were a bit concerned about this year’s regional competition,” Academic Coordinator Jennifer Adams said. “We knew what to expect at the 4A Regional competition, and we knew that this year was going to be a whole different situation.”
The BSHS students qualifying for the state academic meet were:
• Charles Anderson, 3rd place Computer Applications.
• Mindy Ralston, 1st place Headline Writing.
• Jessica Rubio, 1st Place Persuasive Speaking, 1st Place Lincoln-Douglas Debate.
• Shermila Kher, 2nd Place Lincoln-Douglas Debate.
• Chelsey Parker, 3rd Place Informative Speaking.
For more information, you may subscribe to the Big Spring Herald or purchase an e-edition.