Skip to main content

Man seriously hurt in house fire

June 12, 2012

One man was seriously injured when a fire consumed this residence on Jeffery Road. (HCVFD photo)

A Big Spring man was injured and taken to the burn unit at University Medical Center in Lubbock as a result of a fire reported early Monday morning in the 1100 block of Jeffery Road.

According to Tommy Sullivan, HCVFD chief, the fire was reported just after 1 a.m. at 1107 Jeffery Rd., located in southern Howard County.

“One of our firefighters lives in that area, and on the way in to the fire station he was able to see the home. He reported that it was fully involved, so it went up quickly,” Sullivan said. “The Big Spring Fire Department and our own HCVFD units were on the scene shortly after that.”

Sullivan said he was notified that one of the residents of the home, Eddie Spivey, had gone back in after all of the occupants had gotten out safely.

“You really hate to hear about a situation like this. According to some folks, he went back in get his dogs, according to others he went back in after his car keys,” Sullivan. “Either way, in a situation like this, once you and your family are out of the house you should definitely stay out. There's nothing in there that's worth losing your life for.”

Sullivan said Spivey suffered burns to his arms and back and was in serious condition when he left the scene of the fire Monday morning.

“Being a burn survivor myself, I can tell you what he's going through right now is bad. Our hearts and prayers go out to Mr. Spivey and his family,” Sullivan said. “The burns he suffered to his back are the most severe. Anytime you suffer burns over more than 10 percent of your body like he has, it's a critical burn.”

Sullivan said the home was destroyed by the fire.

“We were able to protect several vehicles that were nearby, which may seem small when you lose your home like that, but at least they will be able to get around on their own,” Sullivan said. “The fire did spark a small wildfire nearby, but firefighters were able to knock it down quickly. We only lost about a half-acre on the wildfire.”

The fire spread quickly through the home, Sullivan said.

“The fire began with an electrical short in the garage,” Sullivan said. “The winds were blowing out of the southwest, which just pushed the fire right through the home.”

Sullivan said the Red Cross is assisting Spivey and the rest of the residents of the destroyed home, who are believed to be staying with relatives in Big Spring at this time.

Firefighters were also called to a fire Monday afternoon in the area of Hernandez Road that destroyed a mobile home, however, Sullivan said the property was unoccupied.

“The fire was a controlled burn that got away from the property owners,” Sullivan said. “The trailer house was unoccupied and the fire was contained to that area. There were some tense moments, however, as the fire happened right under some high transmission electrical lines. If the carbon from the fire gets in the line, it can cause electricity to shoot down from them to the area underneath, so a great deal of care had to be taken in the way we approached the fire.”

Sullivan said no injuries or additional property damage was reported as a result of the Hernandez Road fire.

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes