Skip to main content

Structure fire suspicious, fire marshal says

January 31, 2012

The fire that destroyed a home in the 400 block of Lancaster late Saturday night has been ruled suspicious, according to Big Spring Fire Marshal Carl Condray, but the cause remains under investigation.

Condray said the home, which was located at 404 Lancaster and had been vacant for several years, was a total loss.

“The home was unoccupied at the time of the fire. There had been transient activity through the home for several years,” Condray said. “It's being treated as a suspicious fire at this time.”

No injuries were reported as a result of the blaze, which was called in at 11:52 p.m.

“We haven't been able to put a dollar amount to the loss yet,” Condray said. “It took firefighters about an hour to get the fire out. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. All we know for sure right now, however, is there was definitely a human factor involved.”

While there was still a power line running from the pole to the home, Condray said the meter had been removed for some time, eliminating at least one possible cause for the fire.

“There was no electricity in the home itself, so we know the fire didn't begin that way,” Condray said.

A nearby structure — also a home believed to be abandoned — and a car lot were threatened by the blaze, according to Condray, but neither was damaged by the fire.

Backed by a 48-22 run in the second half, Sands rallied to claim a wild 72-60 victory over the...
ODESSA – The Andrews Mustangs beat the Big Spring Steers in everything this high school football...
Make no mistake about it, the 2014 high school football season comes down to one game for four...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes