BRIDGEPORT — Big Spring won its first two games Friday, handily defeating Fort Worth Southwest Christian 61-39 and then edging Saginaw Chisholm Trail 52-47 to open the Bridgeport Christmas Tournament.
Tyler Wigington was top scorer for the Steers in the first game with 18 points. Tate Kennedy had a season-high nine points in the same game. Ty Sealy led BSHS in Game Two with a game-high 21 points.
The Steers were delayed by a prolonged football season, then there were games cancelled due to bad weather and all teams just came off of the Christmas break. Despite the up and down playing schedule, Head Coach Ian Ritchey believes his squad is coming together.
“We've been playing really well,” he said. “Especially on defense. Offensively, I expected us to be a little bit rustier. We've been making more shots than I thought we would. The guys are playing well together and I think they will continue to improve the more games they play. People are stepping up and filling roles.”
The action continues today as the Steers have two more games to go. Next up is a meeting with Iowa Park or the host team, Bridgeport. After that, Ritchey said it's “up in the air”.
Big Spring (8-5), if they win Game Three, will play for the tourney championship. Should they lose, they will play for third place.
Results will be in Monday's edition of the Herald.
LUBBOCK — The Lady Steers opened the Caprock Holiday Classic with a loss to the host team Friday, but rebounded the same day with a 42-29 rout of Odessa High.
Big Spring matched Odessa's offensive output in the third quarter and outscored them in the other three to key the victory.
Julianna Rodriguez led the Lady Steers with 11 points.
Look for Saturday's results in Monday's Herald.
Grady Black-Gold Cotton Classic
• Forsan (girls) def. Monahans 78-21; Ira 64-29. Next vs. Grady, 6 p.m. (Saturday).
• Forsan (boys) def. Klondike 60-49; Ira 53-45. Next vs. Grady, 7:30 p.m. (Saturday).
• Grady (girls) def. Lubbock Kingdom Prep 54-26; Highland 33-25. Next vs. Forsan, 6 p.m. (Saturday).
• Grady (boys) def. Lubbock Kingdom Prep 64-38; Highland 50-26. Next vs. Forsan, 7:30 p.m. (Saturday).
Reagan County Mary Tatum Holiday Classic
• Coahoma (girls) def. Presidio 53-32; Miles 48-25. Next vs. McCamey, 4 p.m. (Saturday).
• Coahoma (boys) lost to Ballinger 65-41; def. San Angelo TLCA 50-39. Next vs. Presidio, 11:30 a.m. (Saturday).