Investigators believe the fire that destroyed a couple's home west of Elbow during the early morning hours today was caused by an electrical short in or near a dryer.
Howard County Volunteer Fire Chief Tommy Sullivan said the fire was reported shortly after 1 a.m. at a home located in the 6800 block of W. FM 818.
“We arrived on the scene at 1:30 a.m. and the structure was already fully engulfed in flames,” Sullivan said. “The home is located about 1.5 miles west of Elbow. Two units from the Big Spring Fire Department and seven Howard County units responded to the fire.
“If the dog hadn't woke them up, there's a good chance they might not have made it out alive,” he said. “He really gets the credit for saving their lives. I'd say that dog deserves one heck of a treat.”
For more information, you may subscribe to the Big Spring Herald or purchase an e-edition.