ACKERLY — The exes are coming home to Sands High School this week.
Sands will hold its quadrennial homecoming festivities, culminating with Friday night’s football vs. Highland.
As with many other high schools in the area, Sands will have themed “dress up days” leading up to the weekend, when the majority of homecoming activities are scheduled:
• The school’s drama club will hold a spaghetti supper from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday in the school cafeteria
• Prior to kickoff of Friday’s game, the “red wagon parade,” featuring floats from each high school class, will be held at the football field.
• Also prior to the start of the game, the 2012 Homecoming Queen will be crowned. This year’s nominees are senior Angelica Diaz, daughter of Juan and Angelica Diaz; junior Ashlyn Savage, daughter of Angela Davis and Blas Torres; sophomore Kara Savage, daughter of Angela Davis and Blas Torres; and freshman Melissa Briseno, daughter of Jose and Martina Briseno. Pre-K flower girl is K’Lyn Gillespie, daughter of Heath and Jennifer Gillespie, while crownbearer is Carlos Plata, son of Carlos and Joanna Plata.
• The football game against Highland begins at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
• Registration will continue at 9 a.m. Saturday. A homecoming meeting will be held at 10 a.m. in the Sands Auditorium, beginning with an invocation, pledge of allegiance and singing of the national anthem.
The business meeting will open with the singing of two school songs, followed by the selection and crowning of the Coming Home Queen and recognition of graduates from each class.
After visitation, the junior class will be serving a noon barbecue lunch with all the trimmings. Cost is $10 per plate in school school cafeteria. Reservations are necessary for a head count.
Homecoming dues are $8 for exes. If anyone wants to contribute more funds, it won’t be turned away..
For more information, contact Sands School at 353-4888.
Contact Staff Writer Steve Reagan at 263-7331 ext. 235 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org