Recent history suggests that, when it comes to school board elections, it’s a matter of “if, not when.”
School board elections are traditionally held in conjunction with municipal elections each May, but in the past several years, contested races have been the rare exception rather than the rule.
Area school districts will see if that trend continues or is interrupted in the coming weeks as they issue calls for the 2013 elections.
Candidate filings begin Wednesday and continue through March 1, officials said.
Area school districts holding elections this may include (terms are for three years unless otherwise noted):
• Big Spring ISD — Three single-member district seats are up for election this year
— District 5, currently held by Chad Wash; District 6, currently held by Jeff Brorman and District 7, in which Phil Fuqueron is the incumbent.
Application can be obtained at the BSISD business office during normal business hours Monday through Friday.
• Coahoma ISD — Two at-large seats — currently held by Michael Brooks and Craig Ferguson — will be decided. Applicants can file their candidacies at the CISD administration office Mondays through Fridays up until the deadline.
• Forsan ISD — Two at-large seats (held by Tom Bill Kuykendall and Chris Evans) are up for election. Applications can be obtained at the superintendent’s office.
• Stanton ISD — Two single-member seats will be decided — District 1, in which Daniel Ramos is the incumbent, and District 5, currently held by Darren Patrick. Prospective candidates can pick up applications at the superintendent’s office during normal business hours.
• Sands CISD — At-large seats held by Michelle Zant and Jody Howard will be decided. Also, a special election will be held to fill the remaining two years of the at-large seat which was held by Bill Barnes before his recent resignation. Applications can be obtained at the district’s business office.
Contact Staff Writer Steve Reagan at 263-7331 ext. 234 or by e-mail at email@example.com