An early morning fire Tuesday destroyed a Big Spring home and sent a local resident to the hospital.
The fire occurred around 5 a.m. in the 200 block of Hillcrest in west Big Spring, Fire Marshal Carl Condray said.
The fire apparently started in the garage area of the split-level, ranch style home and was discovered by one of the home's occupants as they were leaving for work. The timing of the discovery was extremely crucial in saving the residents' lives, Condray said, because the fire quickly spread and soon engulfed the home.
By the time Big Spring Fire Department units arrived on the scene minutes later, the fire had spread to all portions of the home, although the residents had managed to escape.
One of the home's occupants was transported to Scenic Mountain Medical Center with respiratory issues. No update on the person's condition was available, Condray said, adding that no BSFD personnel were injured in the incident.