Homecoming celebrations at Big Spring High School will kick into high gear tonight and continue into the weekend.
School officials will literally light a match to homecoming festivities tonight when they ignite a bonfire located at the field west of the Little League baseball park on the Howard College campus. The bonfire will be lit between 8 p.m. and 8:15 p.m.
Activities switch to the BSHS campus Friday, beginning with the homecoming pep rally at 3 p.m. in Steer Gym. Next up is the annual homecoming parade, which is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. The parade will begin in front of the high school at the intersection of Donley and 11th Place, then proceed west to Goliad, north to Eighth, east to Owens, then south back to the high school.
Before the 7:30 p.m. kickoff of Big Spring's homecoming game vs. San Angelo Lake View at Memorial Stadium, the Coming Home Queen will be named, with the crowning of the Homecoming Queen and King set for halftime.
This year's homecoming queen nominees are:
• Valerie Goodblanket, daughter of Scott and Dolores Goodblanket. Valerie is a member of National Honor Society. French Club and participates in cheerleading, softball, powerlifting and shot put in track.
• Morgan Seaton, daughter of Stephanie and Shane Seaton. Morgan is a member of the National Honor Society and participates in volleyball and track.
• Kinsey Wash, daughter of Chad and Kellie Wash. Kinsey is a varsity volleyball captain and a varsity cheerleader. She is a percussionist in the Steer Band. She is also a member of student council and the treasurer of National Honor Society.
• Ebony Zavala Bills, daughter of Yesmin and Jerry Bills. Ebony participates in volleyball, basketball and cheerleading.
• Belle Guillory, daughter of Renita Guillory. Belle is a member of debate, color guard, UIL academics, Rhapsody and choir.
This year's homecoming king nominees are:
• Roy Gomez, son or Richard and Linda Gomez. Roy is a member of Rhapsody, choir, basketball and baseball.
• Tate Kennedy, son of Jay and Connie Kennedy. Tate is a varsity football captain and participates in golf and baseball.
• Devin Roberson, son of Nick and Anne Roberson. Devin is a captain on the football team and participates in track and golf. He is also a member of the National Honor Society.
• Tyler Wigington, son of Chris and Kelli Wigington Tyler Wigington. Tyler is a captain on the football team, an officer in student council and participates in basketball.
• Kenan Lewis, son of Carmen Cervantes. Kenan is the BSHS mascot, participates in academic journalism and science and is an All-State Band member.