Final arguments due in Lewis trial

Testimony in the trial of a 27-year-old Big Spring man facing multiple charges — including aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon — is set to continue in 118th District Court this morning, as proceedings enter the second day.Brian Christopher Lewis, 27, currently being held at the Howard County Detention Center, was indicted Feb. 3 on charges of deadly conduct, unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.According to officials with the local district attorney's office, the prosecution in the case — lead by District Attorney Hardy Wilkerson — wrapped up their case Monday afternoon.The defense — under the direction of Sweetwater attorney Trey Keith — began presenting testimony Tuesday afternoon. According to court officials, closing statements in the case are expected to be presented sometime this afternoon and the case handed over to the jury for deliberation.Lewis faces a number of charges, including burglary of a habitation with intent to commit aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (enhanced first-degree felony), aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (enhanced first-degree felony) and two separate charges of unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon (both enhanced second-degree felonies).Lewis was apprehended Dec. 14, 2011, at a residence in the 500 block of Young Street during a drug sweep carried out through Big Spring by local, state and federal law enforcement officers and arrested on a charge of delivery of a controlled substance.According to Sgt. Tony Everett, public information officer with the Big Spring Police Department, the Aug. 22, 2011, altercation began when Lewis and another individual began chasing 32-year-old Lonnie Ray Gray Jr. during a domestic dispute.“Officers responded to a residence in the 500 block of State in reference to a report of shots fired,” Everett said. “On arrival, officers found that a family had been inside their home when Gray banged on the door and then forced his way inside, begging the family to hide him from Lewis and the other male subject.“As Gray ran through the house, Lewis and the second male subject came through the door chasing him. Lewis was armed with a handgun and fired two shots at Gray. Lewis and the second subject then fled the scene in a vehicle. No one was hit by the gunfire and Gray fled the scene down an alleyway.”If convicted of a first-degree felony, Lewis could face 5 to 99 years to life in prison for each count, as well as a fine for each not to exceed $10,000.