"The preliminary autopsy has indicated smoke inhalation as cause of death. We have yet to receive their final report." , according to Lt. Brian Gordon.

Update (Friday, 9:22 a.m.):

The Big Spring Police Dept. has issued a press release regarding the body found in the fire yesterday afternoon. See the press release below: 

On the Aug. 29, 2019 at approximately 1:30 P.M., Big Spring Police Department officers responded to the 1700 block of E. 3rd St. to assist the Big Spring Fire Department with traffic control as they extinguish a fire in the abandoned apartment building just east of Denny’s restaurant. 

Officers on scene were informed by Big Spring Fire personnel that a deceased female had been located inside the building. The female’s next of kin has been notified and she has been identified to be Maria Estella Flores Hispanic/Female 41 years of age. 

An autopsy was ordered by the Justice of the Peace and is being performed this morning.  The Big Spring Police Department Criminal Investigations Division is investigating the cause of death of Flores.  

There is no further information available at this time as this is an ongoing investigation.  

Update (Thursday, 8:45 p.m.):

According to local media reports and local law enforcement, a body was discovered at the scene of the fire that occurred earlier this afternoon. The investigation pertaining to the body has been turned over to the Big Spring Police Department.

According to BSPD representatives a press release is expected to be released Friday morning.

The investigation is still on going and at this point no cause has been determined for the fire.

More information will be released as the proper authorities release information to us.

Original Post: Big Spring Fire Department responded to a report of smoke coming from the vacant building near Quality Inn, around 1:45 p.m. Thursday. 

According to Big Spring Fire Chief Craig Ferguson, the fire has been contained to one room and firefighters are currently working on putting out hot spots. 

The cause of the fire has not been determined and the investigation is still ongoing. 

Managing Editor

Recommended for you